Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bringing Home the Bacon

As I mentioned in my last post, we had bacon bread pudding for breakfast on Christmas morning. It was very good, and we gobbled it up but I doubt it will become a Christmas tradition. Even though it was simple to make, it took awhile so I think next year I will opt for something I can put together the night before and slide in the oven when we get up. I know some other bread puddings do have to sit overnight before baking, but I think the bacon in this one would get soggy doing that. At any rate, here is the recipe because it was still really good, and I'm sure I'll make it again. Maybe for dinner next time since a certain little man likes to eat pretty promptly in the morning.

Bacon Bread Pudding
Family Circle, November 2012

6 oz. bacon (about 6 slices), diced
4 eggs
2 c. whole milk
6 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. sliced scallions
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 loaf brioche or challah bread (about 1 lb.), cubed into 1-inch pieces (about 12 cups)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon 5 to 7 minutes, until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir in cooked bacon, cheese, scallions, salt and pepper. Stir in bread cubes, coating well with egg mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes, stirring every once in a while to coat with egg mixture.

Transfer bread-egg mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 to 15 minutes (mine had to go at least another 20 after I took the foil off) until browned and eggs are set (a knife inserted in the bread pudding will come out clean). Allow bread pudding to cool 10 minutes before serving.


I have to say, I'm kind of in love with scallions at the moment. They make everything look so pretty. And when most of our vegetables are frozen or canned all winter long, I love having that fresh little crunch in a dish. So there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...