Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pantry Panties

If your looking at the title of this post and thinking, "What the...?," just hang in there.

Back before Christmas, I stumbled across a post at a blog called The Cottage Home. It was a tutorial on how to make fabric bowl covers. I thought they were really cute, and wanted to try my hand at them. I think in the tutorial, she just used regular cotton fabric, but I thought using a laminated fabric might be an even better solution for using around food.

A few weeks ago when we were out and about on a Saturday, I drug the men in my life into a Jo-Ann Fabric store in search of laminated fabric. They had a pretty wide selection in their baby department (for making diaper covers) but only a few options that weren't babyish. I found one I liked, and more importantly one I thought my grammy would like, since I had decided to make a set for her birthday. The fabric was pre-packaged, not off the bolt, so though I really only needed half a yard, I ended up with a full yard. I think it was $12 or $13, but with a 40% of coupon it ended up right around $7. I would guess you could make at least 4 to 6 bowl covers out of a yard, depending on how large of bowls you want to use.

I didn't take photos of the project in progress because The Cottage Home's tutorial is so much better, but here is my finished project.



On my next try, I think I would make my elastic just a little shorter so the covers fit a bit more snuggly, but overall I was pleased with how they turned out. I often say I can sew anything in a straight line, but curves usually get the better of me so this was a good project for me to practice on.

When my grammy opened them at her birthday party this past weekend, she knew exactly what they were. She said her mother had something similar when she was growing up, and at the time they were called "pantry panties". I wonder why they didn't go with "bowl brassieres"?

1 comment:

  1. They look great! And what a wonderful idea.

    I too am terrified of sewing curves. Maybe like you said, these would be good to practice on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...