Friday, January 25, 2013

Let's Go to the Farm Show

Keith had a vacation day scheduled at the beginning of the month, and it fell in the middle of Farm Show week. If you have never been, it is exactly what it sounds like: anything and everything having to do with any kind of farm, and lots of it. I hadn't been in at least a decade, and my city-slicker husband had never been. I suggested we go, and Keith was agreeable, so I called my dad to see if he wanted to meet us there. Because what's a day at the Farm Show without our farmer?

There was plenty to see (and plenty to eat!) and Bert held up remarkably well.

First we saw some adorable piglets...


Then some sheep.


One of the main attractions every year is the gigantic butter sculpture. That's right. It's all butter.


There were all kinds of displays of Pennsylvania-grown produce.


Bert and I went in a butterfly tent. Sorry I don't have pictures of us inside but I was holding onto the little man. They gave everyone q-tips soaked in Gatorade to attract the butterflies. Bert was pretty fascinated.


Sharing the first of two bowls of ice cream with Popper.



A skid-loader agility course.


A draft horse weighing in for the horse pulls that were scheduled for later that day.


Bert got the biggest kick out of watching this steer stick out his tongue and lick his shoulder. The steer's shoulder, that is: he didn't lick the kid.


Bunnies of all kinds.


Talk about a funky chicken. This rooster almost looked like he had dreadlocks.


Always fun for Bert to see the animals from all his books in the flesh. Er, in the feather, I guess.


Months past Thanksgiving and Bert remembered that the turkey says, "Gobble, gobble, gobble!"


We watched some carriage racing in the arena. This was just the warm up session.


Bert was dressed appropriately for the day: jeans, flannel, and a Carhartt shirt. We were only missing pint-sized work boots for him.


Slow down, Popper!


The whole day was a lot of fun. The food is reasonably priced, and you can take your own in as well. It is $10 a vehicle to park, and there is no other admission fee. There is a ton of stuff to see, and I'm sure we missed a lot of it because of the crowds. Keith couldn't believe how big and busy it was. We are already talking about doing it next year because I think Bert will be even more interested. And maybe not have to be strapped in his stroller all day.

Oh, and I highly recommend the milkshakes and the mozzarella cheese cubes on a stick. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. I'm bummed that I've missed it the last few years. It was something to look forward to after Christmas. Maybe I'll be able to handle both boys next year by myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...