Thursday, August 2, 2012

One Potato, Two Potato...

...Three potato, salad!

Keith dug up our potatoes the other week, and since there weren't too many of them, we didn't go through all the bother of blanching and freezing them like last year. We did have a lot of small ones though, ranging from nickel to half-dollar-sized and perfect for making potato salads. Lucky for me, I had recently cut out two recipes I wanted to try.

First up,

Herb Potato Salad
Real Simple, May 2012


1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (about 15), halved if large
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, and chives (I used chives and basil)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (I just used a thinly-sliced small onion)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard (we had spicy brown on hand)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket; bring the water to a boil. Place potatoes in the basket, cover, and steam until tender, 12 to 14 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the herbs, scallions (or onions), oil, mustard, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and toss to combine.

It was that easy. I forgot to take a picture of that one, but I did get one of the second dish:


Potato Salad with Green Beans & Ricotta
Whole Living, July/August 2012

Scrub and halve 2 lb. small mixed potatoes. Cook them in a pot of well-salted boiling water until tender but not falling apart, about 9 minutes. Add 8 oz. green beans trimmed to 1" pieces during last 3 minutes of cooking and cook until just tender. Drain and immediately toss with 3 Tbsp. olive oil and the grated zest and juice of 1 lemon. Let cool slightly, then stir in 1/2 c. ricotta and 1/2 c. chopped fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper.

Both recipes were simple and delicious. The second one was great for using up some green beans when there was only a handful ready, but I think my favorite was the first. I can see making it again and again because I almost always have everything on hand for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...