Friday, August 10, 2012

A Little Corny

Sorry folks. We're back to recipes. It has been a slow, unproductive week with nothing exciting to report, except that Bert is feeling better.

I pulled this recipe out of a Real Simple magazine several years ago and have made it every summer since. It was great for when I would buy a half dozen ears of corn and we would only eat two with dinner, then I would make this salad with the rest.


Corn Salad with Feta and Walnuts
Real Simple

1 c. walnuts (I used cashews the last time I made this)
4 c. fresh corn kernels (4 ears), raw or cooked (I use cooked)
2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced (I use bell peppers, finely chopped)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (lemon if that's what I have)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 c. crumbled feta

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool and roughly chop. In a large bowl, combine the corn, peppers, lime juice, oil, walnuts, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Sprinkle with feta before serving.

You can't beat fresh corn on the cob, with butter, salt, and pepper, but as far as dressing up leftovers, this is one of my favorite ways to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...