Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Doing the Can-Can

You saw a couple weeks ago when we canned peaches (and got a new range). Since then, we've been canning tomato sauce, salsa, carrots, and green beans. For the carrots and green beans, I got brave and finally pulled out the pressure cooker my mom gave us a few years ago for Christmas. It was a little scary at first, with all the steam and rattling going on, but once I knew what to expect it didn't seem so bad for the next canner full. The first time around though, I set the timer and grabbed Bert and went outside while the jars processed. I figured we'd be safer out there in the event the whole thing exploded. But it all went off without a hitch, and as I looked over things more closely, I saw that the pressure cooker is built with at least three different pressure-relief valves for safety. I won't give you a step-by-step guide because it's probably better if you read the directions for yourself, but here's a few photos of our canned food. Because that's terribly exciting, isn't it?





 I do find it a little thrilling to see the pantry fill up with jars of food we have grown and canned ourselves.

I forgot to take a picture of the salsa, but I'll share the recipe from my mom with you.

Salsa

7 1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 4 quarts, seeded)
2 c. onion, chopped
2 c. celery, chopped (optional)
1 c. green pepper, chopped (we left out the celery and used more green peppers)
1 c. jalapenos, seeded and chopped
8 Tbsp. wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
4 tsp. salt
3-4 tsp. dried cilantro
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 tsp. mustard seed
4 cloves garlic, crushed

Combine everything and bring to a boil; simmer for 20-30 minutes. Process in water bath canner 15 minutes. Makes 8 pints.

My mom would tell you she plays around with the recipe some every year, so feel free to use different spices or different amounts, or add more jalapenos for more heat, or whatever suits your tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...