Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Aye-aye, Pop-Eye

I'm sure I have turned up my nose at spinach many times in my younger years, but find I really enjoy it now. In eggs, in pasta, in meatballs, in salads, in spinach and artichoke dip, anywhere really. But this is how I like it best:


Spinach Salad with Bacon Dressing

Ingredients:
1 lb. fresh spinach
1/2 cup sliced green onion
dash of pepper
5 slices bacon
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 hard-boiled egg (I use two because I like eggs)
Shredded cheese (optional)

Toss spinach with onion and pepper. Chill.

Slowly fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan.


Break into pieces and add to spinach, with hard-boiled egg and shredded cheese if desired.


Add vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and salt to fat in pan and stir until dissolved. Use as dressing.

I like to mix the dressing ingredients
 before adding them to the bacon fat

With an abundance of spinach in the garden, we've made this a couple times recently. Keith and I can eat the whole salad for dinner. Add some good bread and you're set. Really, is there anything that bacon doesn't make better?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...