Monday, July 29, 2013

Quick Cukes

We are at the moment overrun with cucumbers. Never enough at one time to justify a batch of pickles, but more than enough to keep us crunching on them at every meal. And Bert likes them too, so he's been eating his share. If you're local and want a few, please stop by! And if we aren't here by chance, for the love, just take them off the trellis. I won't miss them.

My mom-mom gave me a recipe for a cucumber salad and when I went to the grocery store this week, I finally remembered to pick up the pimentos it called for. 



Marinated Cucumber Salad

2 medium cucumbers
3 Tbsp. salad oil (I used extra light olive oil)
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. drained minced pimentos
1 Tbsp. minced parsley
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. basil

About 1 1/4 hours before serving:

1. Peel cucumbers, if desired (I didn't). Thinly slice cucumbers.

2. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and remaining ingredients, tossing to mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors, stirring occasionally. 

I must say, the hour of marinating is essential. I tasted these immediately after stirring them together and wasn't sure that we would like it because the vinegar flavor came through really strong. But, after sitting for at least an hour, the flavors did really blend and mellow each other out. I was really pleased with this recipe and loved getting to use some of my fresh parsley and basil in it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...