Thursday, March 22, 2012

Singing the Blues

Last week, two things happened that couldn't have been better timed. First, I discovered we had not one, but two cups of last years blueberries hiding in the freezer. Second, I was cleaning out my email inbox and came across a recipe from my aunt that I thought I had misplaced. I thought I printed it out and lost it, but there it was, still in my email. And guess what it called for? Not one, but two cups of blueberries. Now that's what I call a happy accident.


Turn these... 

to this...      

Blueberry Pudding Cake

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar (can be cut down to 1/2cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 tblsp butter or margarine melted

Topping:
3/4 cup sugar (can be cut down to 1/2 cup)
1 tblsp cornstarch
1 cup boiling water

Toss blueberries with cinnamon and lemon juice; place in a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir in milk and butter (you can just use a spatula; no need to get the mixer out). Spoon over berries. Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over batter.  Slowly pour boiling water over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the cake tests done.


I was a little worried when I saw how watery it was after pouring the boiling water on top, so here's a picture so you know you are doing it right.




My aunt recommends serving it warm over vanilla ice cream. I didn't have any ice cream around but I did have some whipping cream in the fridge so I whipped that up and put it on top. Keith says, "Don't even bother with a blueberry pie. Just make this from now on." Now we are really itching for those blueberries to come on this spring, because the only sad thing about making this pudding cake is we don't have any more blueberries to make another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...