Monday, August 15, 2011

Peter Piper Picked...

...a peck of pickled peppers.

How much is a peck anyway? I didn't know so I had to look it up. And now I'm sharing it with you, courtesy of Britannica online.

peck, unit of capacity in the U.S. Customary and the British Imperial Systems of measurement. In the United States the peck is used only for dry measure and is equal to 8 dry quarts, or 537.6 cubic inches (8.810 litres). In Great Britain the peck may be used for either liquid or dry measure and is equal to 8 imperial quarts (2 imperial gallons), or one-fourth imperial bushel, or 554.84 cubic inches (9.092 litres). The peck has been in use since the early 14th century, when it was introduced as a measure for flour. The term referred to varying quantities, however, until the modern units were defined in the 19th century.



The point to all that is the recipe from my grandpop I am about to share with you calls for a peck of peppers. As usual, I approached my recipe with a certain amount of disregard for exact measurements and eyeballed it. Lucky for me, this time it worked. For as particular as I am about a lot of things, when it comes to cooking, I can be pretty relaxed. When I bake though, I follow recipes to a "t." 

Anyway, back to pecks and peppers. I made a half batch because that's all the peppers I had.

Salad Peppers
Ingredients:
1 peck hot peppers cut in circles (I used banana peppers)
5 cloves garlic
1/4 c. oregano
1/2 c. salt
3 c. water
3 c. vinegar
2 c. canola oil

Mix syrup; put in gallon jar. (I split my half batch in two quart jars because they fit in our fridge better.) Add peppers. Keep in fridge. You can keep adding peppers. You can also use the leftover syrup as a marinade when the peppers are gone.

Keith loves these on sandwiches. We also use them on our homemade pizzas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...