Friday, July 6, 2012

Side Orders

If you are tired of the simple summer sides series, I'm sorry. I, for one, am always looking for dishes that take a minimum of heat (and a minimum of work) to prepare on these disgustingly hot days. So let me introduce you to at least one more.



(I'm realizing now that the picture doesn't make this look very appetizing, but trust me, it tastes good!)




Creamy Ranch Macaroni Salad
from Almost Homemade, a Gooseberry Patch cookbook


16-oz package medium shell pasta, uncooked
3/4 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1 c. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 c. sour cream
1-oz. package ranch salad dressing mix, divided
1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese

Cook shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside. Combine onion, celery, and parsley in a large bowl; add shells and toss together. Add sour cream and half of the salad dressing mix; stir well. Add mayonnaise and remaining dressing mix; stir again. Toss with Cheddar cheese. Serves 8-10.

So that's how they do it...I mix the sour cream, mayo, and dressing mix together first, throw in the celery and onion (skipped the parsley this time since mine is puny looking), then put the cooked pasta in. I think it is easier to stir that way. My noodles were still a bit warm so I'll add the cheese in later so it doesn't melt and clump together. 

And if you are looking for a great summer dessert, make this ice cream sandwich cake. I made it for a 4th of July picnic and it was a big hit. I forgot to take a picture but Jane over at Thy Hand Hath Provided has a great post on how to make one. No baking; you just have to work fast enough that your ice cream sandwiches don't melt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...