Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Little Trimming

It's been a busy week around here, with appointments and playdates, a garage sale, and a certain pregnant lady who feels the need for a daily nap more than ever these days. So, when the going gets tough, it is pretty evident that it's the blog that loses out. I'm guessing that over the next couple of months, posts will be rather irregular, so I hope you can find something else to fill in on your rotation of procrastination. (Thanks Farah, for that phrase that cracks me up whenever I think of it.)

At any rate, we did get a little farther in the laundry room. Rather, Keith did. My only direct contribution was taping off the windows as he got ready to paint the trim.

First step was popping of the trim around the the ceiling. This room, with an approximately 50' perimeter, had about six different styles of trim going on. Obviously an afterthought on the part of whoever built it. We opted to buy new and replace it all rather than put time and effort into painting something that looked wonky to begin with.

Then you saw the debacle of sanding down every square inch of the room.

After that, all the walls and surfaces had to be wiped down twice to get rid of all the dust. Actually, I did help with that part too, cleaning anything I could reach without getting on the ladder. Next Keith spackled and caulked any holes from old hardware or gaps in the trim. I thought I had photos of all that, but I guess I was toddler-wrangling and didn't take any.

After that, I taped off the windows, and Keith got to work painting the trim and the new door, which only had a primer coat. Three coats later, and the room already looks much fresher. We just went with off-the-shelf Designer White in semi-gloss from Ace's Clark + Kensington line to keep it simple. 

You can see on either side of the doorsill where Keith had to sand it down. There had been blue paint there, just continued in a straight line as if it were part of the trim. Very strange in our opinion. So our plan is to stain the wood since it won't show wear like painting it would.

If you look at some of the photos, you can see we played around with a couple of paint swatches for the walls. We started by looking at a blue, a green, and a red and narrowed it down to red, though we weren't set on the first one. So Keith picked up a few more, and we picked one of these two, which look pretty similar in the photo. Guess you'll have to stay tuned to see which one we picked!

We are aiming to get this wrapped up before the new baby arrives, but since he could be here any day, I don't know if that will happen. At any rate, as long as I can continue to use the washer and dryer throughout the process, I can live with a bit of mayhem back there.

1 comment:

  1. That room is going to look amazing! I can't wait to see it in person.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...