Friday, June 29, 2012

Cabbage Patch Pleaser

When it gets hot, I don't feel like doing much cooking. I've recently faced my fear of the grill and started using it a lot more often rather than standing over a hot stove or heating up the oven. The grill takes care of our main dish then, but what about sides? Lately, it's been a lot of salads, because lettuce and spinach are ready in the garden but when the cabbage was ready, it was time for coleslaw. A side dish that takes about five minutes to make and doesn't require any heat? I'm game for that.

Coleslaw

1/3 cup mayo
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. celery seed

Stir above ingredients until sugar dissolves.


Toss with 3 cups shredded cabbages; add shredded carrots if desired.


I think shredding cabbage is really awkward and makes a mess, so I just chop mine up.

I quartered, blanched and froze the rest of our cabbage to use in soups or cabbage and noodles over the winter. We might try a fall planting of cabbage this year just so we can enjoy more of it fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...